Brilliant!That is the sound of the St Philip's organ, after restoration work in January 2010.
The restoration projectA big project for CAMRA and the St Philip's Parish in 2009 was to raise money to restore the organ at the church, where our performances are held. As well as profits from our performances, we have had generous support from other musicians, including Classical Opera-tives, Igitur Nos and the Royal School of Church Music.
Thank you everyone!
The restoration work was completed by Ian D. Brown & Associates of Ballina.
The Hill, Norman & Beard 'Continuo'The Hill, Norman and Beard 'Continuo' organ at St Philip's Anglican Church was manufactured in 1964 and installed in 1967 by the Australian subsidiary of English organ builders Wm. Hill & Son and Norman & Beard Ltd.
It is a single manual pipe organ of 56 notes and four stops — Stopped Diapason 8 ft., Prestant 4ft., Doublet 2ft. and Larigot 1-1/3ft. It is recorded in the Supplement to historic organs of New South Wales, by Graeme D. Rushworth and on the website of the Organ Historical Trust of New South Wales.
In operation in Melbourne from 1927 to 1974, when the parent company was wound up, Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Ltd fulfilled many orders, including the prestigious new organ for Melbourne Town Hall. Its order books are in the custody of the University of Melbourne Archives. The St. Philip's organ is recorded as job no. ACT719.
The organ is very suitable for a small church which has fine acoustics (though we sometimes wish it had a pedal bass!).
(Pictures by Leighton Mann and Trevor Bunning)